Wednesday, June 2, 2010

One man's treasure is another man's trash

We've all heard the saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure. I think the opposite can also be true. Let me explain. One Easter I made a cake for my church. It wasn't an elaborate cake, but it still took some time to decorate. When I got to church, I placed it on the table beside the doughnuts. Later on that morning I walked by the table just in time to see a woman place her purse ON TOP of my cake so that her hands were free to get her doughnuts. I'd like to say that I walk so closely with the Lord that I immediately saw in the grand scheme of things, this wasn't a huge deal. A couple of the ladies saw the look on my face and walked quickly to me to reassure me that it was going to be ok. For some reason I was thinking about this yesterday. I was thinking about how something was very important to me, but not someone else. It got me thinking about how many times I've blown off one of my children's "treasures" because it wasn't important to me. I'd like to become the kind of person that sees the importance in the things that are important to those I love. My children and my husband are a treasure to me and I want them to feel that way. Jesus set the example of how we are to love others. He valued people and listened to them, especially the children. The disciples tried to get rid of the children as they came to Jesus but He stopped them and said in Matthew 19:14, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

No comments:

Post a Comment